Tuesday, July 10, 2007

July Mix - 4. Radiohead - Airbag

I was going to save this one for later on in the mix, but I think this theme leads to enough quality material that I don't really need to hold back. In honor of Stereogum's Tribute and the 10 year anniversary of OK Computer last week, Radiohead's "Airbag" is batting cleanup in the 4 spot. The song is about the feeling of having a near accident, and suddenly having this rush that life is all that more precious. The opening riff paired with the sleigh-bells kicks the song off powerfully, and Thom almost didn't get away with including the bells - the rest of the band was against them. I always am so enthralled to hear Radiohead studio tales, because with the way the songs turn out, it seems to be such a mystic recording experience. This album is in my top 4 favorite of all time and I absolutely love everything about this song. Here's a pretty cool live video of them performing the song back in 1997:

No comments: