Wednesday, July 11, 2007

July Mix - 5. Billy Bragg and Wilco - Airline to Heaven

This song comes from 2000's Billy Bragg and Wilco collaboration Mermaid Avenue Vol II. The idea behind these releases is pretty cool - giving the words of Woody Guthrie to Wilco and folksinger Billy Bragg and seeing what kinds of songs they could come up with. The opening track, "Airline to Heaven" is my favorite off of this release and one of my favorite songs by Wilco overall. It displays one of the prettier melodies of Jeff Tweedy's and it works really well against the chugging beat of the music. The slide guitar solo in some of the live versions I've heard is mind-blowing. Whenever I hear this song, it's usually stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Check out a live video from a 2006 concert in Duluth MN:

No comments: