Thursday, July 12, 2007

July Mix - 6. Weezer - My Name is Jonas


I'm not sure that any album over the course of my life has helped shape my musical palate as much as Weezer's Blue Album. I remember that BMG scam of a CD club had sent the CD to my older sister back in 1994 and upon first listen I promptly stole it from her. The opening track "My Name is Jonas" was slated to be the third single off the record but at the last minute "Say It Ain't So" was chosen instead. The acoustic intro to the song takes the listener in one direction and as soon as the distorted guitars kick in with the vocals, it yanks the listener in another direction. The call and response on this song work really well and it's one of the very few songs that original guitarist Jason Cropper had writing credits for (he came up with the acoustic pieces.) Check out Rivers' haircut in this live vid from the 2000 Warped Tour:

1 comment:

Jeff said...

this mix is shaping up well. i actually might want a copy. don't fuck it up.