Wednesday, June 6, 2007

June Mix - 3. Notorious B.I.G. - Mo' Money Mo' Problems


Keeping our mix in the summer of 1997, Notorious B.I.G.'s "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems" is a perfect fit for the third spot. This single was released in June or July of '97 and I can remember it being the jam for the rest of that summer and then into the fall. I used to know every single word to this song, and I'm sure most of you did too. This song was the coming out party for a then-unknown Ma$e, who as we all know went on to a long and illustrious rap career. (Does anyone know what Ma$e is up to now?... Last I heard he was born again, but that was years ago.) Biggie's rap on this song is one of my all-time favorites and at the time this song came out the retro sampling wasn't as played out as it is today. Check the video, it's sort of dated with the Fuzzy Zoeller reference, but the Riddick Bowe cameo is pretty sweet.

1 comment:

WhitFrom said...

Mase was born again and became a preacher. then he gave that up and tried to get back into the rap game. I remember he did a black and white video with Puffy and it had a lot of dancers and probably hot girls. Maybe the rest of his fan based was as confused as I was.