Monday, June 18, 2007

June Mix - 8. Presidents of the U.S.A. - Peaches

Released in the summer of 1995, Presidents of the Unites States of America's self-titled debut confused me. "Are these guys supposed to be a joke? Why are they singing about fruit?" - my 5th grade mind asked. But turned out, rock music can indeed be silly and fun, and fun these guys are. "Peaches" is clearly the standout track (at least of the three that I can remember.) The pretty opening melody line and slide guitar work their way into a flannel shirt swaying chorus and the underlying fruit theme make this song a perfect opener to Side B. I can remember humming this song to myself while riding my bike en route to a rousing game of mush ball. Thanks to Katy for the reminder. Check out the video for it complete with Kung Fu fight sequence:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha i used to love this song!

Unknown said...

This was a good summer. Oh bye the way, the S drive went down. So bye bye all of our work. Unless the guys in white suits can save it.