Monday, June 11, 2007

New Music: Spoon - The Underdog

While this song has been floating around the internet for a week or so now, I wasn't sure what to make of it. I'm definitely not a Spoon-crazed maniac like it seems everyone else is, but I would consider myself a fan. This song took me by surprise a little (before I even heard it, I knew it would be a different Spoon having read that Jon Brion produces on this track.) After about five listens the track is really starting to grow on me. While always being known for their interesting instrumentation and arrangements, they've taken a different approach to crafting this song - horns, hand claps, and sleighbells round out the rather straightforward approach to jangly retro pop-rock. And I think they pull it off. I'm getting really excited to hear the rest of the new record - titled Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and slated for a July 10th release on Merge. Here's a glimpse at the new artwork and for your listening pleasure - the new single, The Underdog.



No comments: