Tuesday, May 29, 2007

May Mix - 13. Rilo Kiley - A Better Son/Daughter

The 13th song for May comes from L.A. band Rilo Kiley's 2002 Saddle Creek release The Execution of All Things. I had a feeling that they had written a couple songs in 3, but I didn't go back and listen to them all, (so thanks Colin.) This is one of the classic RK songs from what has become my favorite album of theirs. Being their only release on Saddle Creek, this one sticks out somewhat from the others because of the production guidance from Mike Mogis. I feel that this album is a little more interesting with arrangements and instrumentation than other Rilo Kiley releases - and I have a good feeling that this is Mogis-influenced. This song has a great moment where the drums come crashing in after a building, yet subdued beginning. These are the moments that Jenny and Blake's songwriting has become known for. Saddle Creek has know claimed over 1/5 of this mix. Only two more songs to go.

No comments: