Tuesday, May 29, 2007

New Sufjan Stevens - In the Words of the Governor

I know I'm pretty much just recycling Stereogum posts at this point, but this song is worth the reposting. This recording comes from Believer Magazine's forthcoming compilation CD. It came via the 'Gum this morning as a world premier and I still am kind of confused with it. I really like this song, and I think the garage rock direction is interesting, but it really isn't the reason I listen to Sufjan. I wonder if this is how people felt when Dylan went electric? It does really show how wide of a range he has genre-wise and is impressive either way. Anyways, it's about as interesting as things get on a Monday morning at the office, so give it a listen (or two) and let me know what you think.

Go here to listen, and to see the tracklist for the rest of the Comp.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

an "interesting monday morning at the office" happens on a tuesday and sufjan goes garage... totally wack!

James said...

feels like a monday, so i'm leaving it

Jeff said...

Wow.

I felt like I just got a glimpse into an alternate universe where Sufjan was born somewhere else to someone else but still had a love for music.

Think how crazy it would be if alternate Sufjan had recorded several albums like "In the World of the Governor" and then suddenly discovered a new sound and released "Predatory Wasps"? I think that would truly blow people's minds.

This song however, is just sorta "there" and seems logical that he would try it. It's sorta catchy, but I'd rather hear some more of those "Bird" songs.